What If I Am Contaminated?
- Any personal contamination must be reported to Radiation Safety immediately.
- Contaminated skin should be washed with mild soap and water.
- Contaminated clothing must be removed promptly and folded inward to prevent the spread of contamination. The clothing should then be placed in a plastic bag and labeled for decay or disposal as radioactive waste by radiation safety.
- Radiation Safety will record contamination levels observed and procedures followed for incidents involving contamination of individuals. An incident record will be documented that includes names of individuals involved, description of work activities, calculated dose, probable causes (including root causes), steps taken to reduce future incidents of contamination, times and dates, and the surveyor's signature.
What If I Am Injured?
IN THE EVENT PERSONNEL ARE INJURED, SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY! Employee incidents are reported to Employee Health. Inform your supervisor, staff leadership, or safety representative.
How Do I Reach Medical Help?
If this is an Emergency, call 911.
- Page the on-call Employee Health/Occupational Injury Management Nurse Practitioner for further guidance at: 404-686-5500, PIC# 50464.
- Notify the employee’s supervisor or their designee within 24 hours of the incident.
- Emory Healthcare
- Access the Emory Healthcare Intranet page and go to the Occupational Injury Management webpage linked below.
- Click on protocols, emergency treatment and medication management.
- Click on protocol-injury and follow the instructions linked below under Protocol Injury Instructions.
Express Care Clinic
The Express Care Clinic provides all Emory Healthcare and Emory University employees care for acute occupational accidents and exposures. STARS Report must be completed within 24 hours of the incident. See next section
How to Record Incident and Exposures?
- Healthcare - EHC patient and visitor incidents and near misses are reported in the STARS Event Reporting System. Access the Emory Healthcare Intranet page (linked below) . Click on STARS event reporting under quick links, click submit a STARS report, select employee injury, complete the report, click submit.
- University event reporting system can be accessed through the How to Report an Accident link below. If the employee is unable to complete the report it should be completed by the supervisor.